cannot initialize module au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck

cannot initialize module au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck

Michael Martinsson
Hi,

Since this is my first post to the list I just want to start by saying thanks for a great tool! Now to the business at hand.

I have trouble running Simian 2.2.24 as a a Checkstyle 4.3.3 plugin. I get the following error message when building in Eclipse 3.2.2:

Errors during build.
Errors running builder "Checkstyle Builder" on project Domain.
cannot initialize module au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck - Unable to instantiate au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck
Errors running builder "Checkstyle Builder" on project Application.
cannot initialize module au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck - Unable to instantiate au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck

Any ideas?

Is there anyone else that is running the above versions together successfully?

/Michael

Re: cannot initialize module au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck

Lars Ködderitzsch
Hi,

how did you try to integrate the simian.jar with the eclipse-cs plugin?
Did you just drop the jar in the extension-libraries folder in the
plugin directory or do you have a proper plugin fragment which extends
the eclipse-cs plugin?
I am asking because I don't know what Simian is actually providing...

Regards,
Lars Ködderitzsch

Michael Martinsson schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> Since this is my first post to the list I just want to start by saying
> thanks for a great tool! Now to the business at hand.
>
> I have trouble running Simian 2.2.24 as a a Checkstyle 4.3.3 plugin. I
> get the following error message when building in Eclipse 3.2.2:
>
> Errors during build.
> Errors running builder "Checkstyle Builder" on project Domain.
> cannot initialize module au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck -
> Unable to instantiate au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck
> Errors running builder "Checkstyle Builder" on project Application.
> cannot initialize module au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck -
> Unable to instantiate au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Is there anyone else that is running the above versions together
> successfully?
>
> /Michael

Re: cannot initialize module au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck

Michael Martinsson

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your response. I'm following the instructions on the Simian homepage:

I've downloaded Simian, extracted it, added it to the classpath and tested it successfully from the command line. I then edited the Checkstyle configuration file I'm using to include Simian:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
    This configuration file was written by the eclipse-cs plugin configuration editor
-->
<!--
    Checkstyle-Configuration: RTD UC
-->
<!DOCTYPE module PUBLIC "-//Puppy Crawl//DTD Check Configuration 1.2//EN" "http://www.puppycrawl.com/dtds/configuration_1_2.dtd">
<module name="Checker">
    <property name="severity" value="ignore"/>
    <module name="TreeWalker">
        <property name="severity" value="warning"/>
        <module name="CyclomaticComplexity"/>
        .
        .
        .
        <module name="UnusedImports"/>
        <module name="VisibilityModifier"/>
        <module name="DesignForExtension"/>
    </module>
    <module name="au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck"/>
</module>

I checked this against the Checkstyle page on configuration and it seemed to verfify that this is the way to do it.

/Michael

On 2/28/08, Lars Ködderitzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

how did you try to integrate the simian.jar with the eclipse-cs plugin?
Did you just drop the jar in the extension-libraries folder in the
plugin directory or do you have a proper plugin fragment which extends
the eclipse-cs plugin?
I am asking because I don't know what Simian is actually providing...

Regards,
Lars Ködderitzsch

Michael Martinsson schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Since this is my first post to the list I just want to start by saying
> thanks for a great tool! Now to the business at hand.
>
> I have trouble running Simian 2.2.24 as a a Checkstyle 4.3.3 plugin. I
> get the following error message when building in Eclipse 3.2.2:
>
> Errors during build.
> Errors running builder "Checkstyle Builder" on project Domain.
> cannot initialize module au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck -
> Unable to instantiate au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck
> Errors running builder "Checkstyle Builder" on project Application.
> cannot initialize module au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck -
> Unable to instantiate au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Is there anyone else that is running the above versions together
> successfully?
>
> /Michael

Re: cannot initialize module au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck

Lars Ködderitzsch
Hi Michael,

the steps for integrating custom (or 3rd party) checks into the Eclipse
Checkstyle Plugin are described here:

http://eclipse-cs.sourceforge.net/extending_custom_checks.html

Hope that helps,
Lars

> [...]

>      >
>      > Errors during build.
>      > Errors running builder "Checkstyle Builder" on project Domain.
>      > cannot initialize module
>     au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck -
>      > Unable to instantiate au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck
>      > Errors running builder "Checkstyle Builder" on project Application.
>      > cannot initialize module
>     au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck -
>      > Unable to instantiate au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck
>      >
>      > Any ideas?
>      >
>      > Is there anyone else that is running the above versions together
>      > successfully?
>      >
>      > /Michael

Re: cannot initialize module au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck

dhodges
Responding here in the hope it may help others in future.

I was wrestling with this error for a while after trying to add the simian.jar extension to the checkstyle plugin for eclipse:

> cannot initialize module au.com.redhillconsulting.simian.SimianCheck - Unable to instantiate

As usual, the problem was to be found between the seat and the keyboard. I had put the jar within :
    {eclipse}/plugins/com.atlassw.tools.eclipse.checkstyle_4.4.3

when it should have been placed here:
    {eclipse}/plugins/com.atlassw.tools.eclipse.checkstyle_4.4.3/extension-libraries

d:)

Lars Ködderitzsch wrote