cannot force NO-whitespace after if, while, catch, for...

cannot force NO-whitespace after if, while, catch, for...

Reagan Penner

Hello,

I am using the Eclipse Checkstyle Plug-in 5.0.3.200911042225 and am having issues trying to force no-whitespace after a keyword like if, while, for, catch.

In my "Whitespace Around" checkstyle rule I have unchecked the if, for, catch, while, do, and try keywords.

However, neither of these code segments will generate a checkstyle violation (they both seem to be considered valid):

if ( !retry )

{

    //read a new message and try to send it on

}

if( !retry )

{

    //read a new message and try to send it on

}

If I go back into the "Whitespace Around" checkstyle rule and check the "if keyword" box then the second scenario from above i.e., no-space generates the following violation:

'if' is not followed by whitespace.

I would really like to be able to enforce the following as a violation: 'if' is followed by whitespace.

I did read through your posts and it appears that there were similar issues with earlier versions of checkstyle. If I am missing something please do let me know but as far as I can tell I am running the latest available version.

Cheers,

-reagan