WhitespaceAround with annotation parameters

WhitespaceAround with annotation parameters

Johannes Ruthenberg-4
Hello!

I'm using checkstyle 5 with the Eclipse plugin (plugin version
5.0.3.200911042225) and I have a problem with the WhitespaceAround
check. For this code:

@Target({ElementType.METHOD, ElementType.FIELD}) // generates warning

I get the warning that a space is missing before "}". For some reason I
only get a warning for the closing bracket, not the opening one. Putting
a space before the closing bracket looks odd, though, and all examples I
found don't do this either. So I'm wondering if there's something wrong
with the way I configured this check or if there's something else I can
do to get rid of these warnings?!

Also, this seems to only happen in annotation parameter lists. If I use
an array somewhere else, it does not trigger a warning:

String[] test = new String[]{"test"}; // no warning

The WhitespaceAround check is configured as follows:

<module name="WhitespaceAround">
  <property name="tokens" value="ASSIGN, BAND, BAND_ASSIGN, BOR,
BOR_ASSIGN, BSR, BSR_ASSIGN, BXOR, BXOR_ASSIGN, COLON, DIV, DIV_ASSIGN,
EQUAL, GE, GT, LAND, LCURLY, LE, LITERAL_ASSERT, LITERAL_CATCH,
LITERAL_DO, LITERAL_ELSE, LITERAL_FINALLY, LITERAL_FOR, LITERAL_IF,
LITERAL_RETURN, LITERAL_SYNCHRONIZED, LITERAL_TRY, LITERAL_WHILE, LOR,
LT, MINUS, MINUS_ASSIGN, MOD, MOD_ASSIGN, NOT_EQUAL, PLUS, PLUS_ASSIGN,
QUESTION, RCURLY, SL, SLIST, SL_ASSIGN, SR, SR_ASSIGN, STAR,
STAR_ASSIGN, LITERAL_ASSERT, TYPE_EXTENSION_AND"/>
</module>

I also found this thread from 2008 which describes a more or less
identical problem:
http://markmail.org/message/2ne3sntoqe6pikxj
The solution then was to upgrade to checkstyle 5, which I'm already
running. I'd appreciate any hints into the right direction. ;-)

Regards,
Johannes Ruthenberg