JSP Checking

emerson cargnin
Is there any sort of extension for checkstyle that enable it to parse
and check JSP for similar types of standards?

For example:

Scriplets: enable/disable them. Check the java in the scriplets.
Regular expressions: It could point out the use of the slow "//" in
Xpath expressions.
Indentation: same as normal checkstyle
XHtml: Verify if the JSPs are xhtml compatible.
and many more...

If checkstyle can't do it... Is there any other tool that could be
used to implement those checks? I'm gonna use this at svn on the
pre-commit hook, I know I could use a regular-expressions checker, but
that is too limited and intrusive.

regards
Emerson

Re: JSP Checking

Oliver Burn
This is a question that has been asked many times before, see http://tinyurl.com/956wee.

The short answer is that there is no specific support other than the generic checks that work on files.

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 21:28, emerson cargnin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there any sort of extension for checkstyle that enable it to parse
and check JSP for similar types of standards?

For example:

Scriplets: enable/disable them. Check the java in the scriplets.
Regular expressions: It could point out the use of the slow "//" in
Xpath expressions.
Indentation: same as normal checkstyle
XHtml: Verify if the JSPs are xhtml compatible.
and many more...

If checkstyle can't do it... Is there any other tool that could be
used to implement those checks? I'm gonna use this at svn on the
pre-commit hook, I know I could use a regular-expressions checker, but
that is too limited and intrusive.

regards
Emerson

Re: JSP Checking

emerson cargnin
If there is such high demand, why this is not taken in account for
future versions of checkstyle?

regards
Emerson

2009/1/9 Oliver Burn <[hidden email]>:

> This is a question that has been asked many times before, see
> http://tinyurl.com/956wee.
>
> The short answer is that there is no specific support other than the generic
> checks that work on files.
>
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 21:28, emerson cargnin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Is there any sort of extension for checkstyle that enable it to parse
>> and check JSP for similar types of standards?
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> Scriplets: enable/disable them. Check the java in the scriplets.
>> Regular expressions: It could point out the use of the slow "//" in
>> Xpath expressions.
>> Indentation: same as normal checkstyle
>> XHtml: Verify if the JSPs are xhtml compatible.
>> and many more...
>>
>> If checkstyle can't do it... Is there any other tool that could be
>> used to implement those checks? I'm gonna use this at svn on the
>> pre-commit hook, I know I could use a regular-expressions checker, but
>> that is too limited and intrusive.
>>
>> regards
>> Emerson

Re: JSP Checking

Oliver Burn
There are only 24 hours in each day, and only 7 days in each week.... :-)

Seriously, because there is not enough time to do everything. There are requests to support many other languages as well.

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 21:08, emerson cargnin <[hidden email]> wrote:
If there is such high demand, why this is not taken in account for
future versions of checkstyle?

regards
Emerson

2009/1/9 Oliver Burn <[hidden email]>:
> This is a question that has been asked many times before, see
> http://tinyurl.com/956wee.
>
> The short answer is that there is no specific support other than the generic
> checks that work on files.
>
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 21:28, emerson cargnin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Is there any sort of extension for checkstyle that enable it to parse
>> and check JSP for similar types of standards?
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> Scriplets: enable/disable them. Check the java in the scriplets.
>> Regular expressions: It could point out the use of the slow "//" in
>> Xpath expressions.
>> Indentation: same as normal checkstyle
>> XHtml: Verify if the JSPs are xhtml compatible.
>> and many more...
>>
>> If checkstyle can't do it... Is there any other tool that could be
>> used to implement those checks? I'm gonna use this at svn on the
>> pre-commit hook, I know I could use a regular-expressions checker, but
>> that is too limited and intrusive.
>>
>> regards
>> Emerson

Re: JSP Checking

emerson cargnin
Yes, I understand, but JSP are basically part of any java web
application, so it should be considered first of other languages.
Other languages I believe are worth of separated projects.

By the way, does anyone know of any other similar tool for JSPs?