Custom Error Messages

Marc van Dongen
Dear all,

I just started using checkstyle and I desparately need it for
feedback reports for student assignments. So far, it has
already been very useful.

I know it's possible to have custom error messages, but it
is not quite clear to me how to get, say, the name of an
identifier which violates the LocalVariableName rule.

I've read the [Custom Messages] example on
 http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/config.html
but it is (completely) not clear to me where to find, say, the
messages.properties file for the sun rules. Also I didn't find
a Tools/plugins in the distribution.

Any pointers to examples/documentation will be extremely highly
valued:-)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Marc van Dongen

Re: Custom Error Messages

Lars Ködderitzsch
Hello Marc,

the documentation says:

>The obvious question is how do you know which message keys a Check uses, so that you can override them? Well, that is the tricky part. To find out which keys a Check uses you currently need to look into the Check's source code, in >conjunction with the Check's messages.properties file. Tools/plugins might come to the rescue on this topic, so have a look there.

This means you will probably need to download the Checkstyle source distribution/check out the Checkstyle project from the source repository (Mercurial I think).
Then look at the checkstyle configuration file you use to find out which checks it is using.
For each check look for the matching check implementation class (e.g. implementation class of the JavadocMethod check is "com.puppycrawl...JavadocMethodCheck") in the Checkstyle sources.
When a check logs a message it usually uses a construct like:
  log(aLineNo, "javadoc.return.expected");

The string argument is the message key you're looking for. Now consult the messages.properties in the same package as the check in question to cross-check you found the right message key you want to override. This will also allow you to check whether the standard message contains any parametrizable placeholders.

Regarding the referenced tools/plugins: actually I think the only tool supporting custom messages (and their configuration via configuration UI) is the Eclipse Checkstyle Plugin (http://eclipse-cs.sf.net).

Good hunting,
Lars

Am 30.11.2010 12:03, schrieb Marc van Dongen:
[...]

Hi Lars.

[ pointer ]

Thanks very much. I'll have a look later.

Regards,

Marc van Dongen