Chocolatey package for Windows users?

Andrew Pennebaker
I love how Ubuntu users can "sudo apt-get install checkstyle", and Mac users can "brew install checkstyle"! It makes setting up checkstyle for the first time so much easier.

Could we make a Chocolatey package for checkstyle, so that Windows users can "chocolatey install checkstyle"?

Re: Chocolatey package for Windows users?

Roman Ivanov
Hello Andrew Pennebaker,

Being with checkstyle for several years I have never think to install it as package to OS.
Example: http://www.installion.co.uk/ubuntu/quantal/universe/c/checkstyle/index.html

I see reason for checkstyle to be in maven central repository or to be easily used in build process or in IDE (Eclipse, Naetbeans, IDEA, ...) , ease of use in CI systems like Jenkins(http://jenkins-ci.org/) or in aggregation systems like Sonar(http://www.sonarqube.org/).

But what is the reason  or use case Checkstyle to be a package for OS ? Checkstyle is not an standalone application
for now.

Thanks,
Roman Ivanov.

I love how Ubuntu users can "sudo apt-get install checkstyle", and Mac users can "brew install checkstyle"! It makes setting up checkstyle for the first time so much easier.

Could we make a Chocolatey package for checkstyle, so that Windows users can "chocolatey install checkstyle"?

October Webinars: Code for Performance

Re: Chocolatey package for Windows users?

Andrew Pennebaker
Yes, Checkstyle works very well as a JAR in a Maven repository, especially when used as a Maven plugin in pom.xml.

But Checkstyle also offers a CLI interface for one-off checks, and there is some demand for this, as evidenced by the existence of CLI packages for Ubuntu and Mac OS X. I want to complete the trifecta, giving Windows users the same easy CLI one-off ability for Checkstyle, without the user having to use Maven or manipulate JARs, CLASSPATH, or PATH on his own.

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Roman Ivanov <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Oliver, did you do smth special to be present in Ubuntu repositories ?

hmm, ubuntu 12.04 have checkstyle in his repository (checkstyle_5.4-1_all.deb) :

16:36 ~/java/git [development|✔] $ sudo apt-get install checkstyle
[sudo] password for rivanov:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  checkstyle
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 152 not upgraded.
Need to get 576 kB of archives.
After this operation, 868 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/universe checkstyle all 5.4-1 [576 kB]
Fetched 576 kB in 7s (75.5 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package checkstyle.
(Reading database ... 256902 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking checkstyle (from .../checkstyle_5.4-1_all.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up checkstyle (5.4-1) ...

Afer that you can use it like:
checkstyle -c config.xml src/

Re: Chocolatey package for Windows users?

Roman Ivanov
Andrew, we will try todo smth during https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/issues/8

but please to make it faster please provide wiki document (or script) how to do it, non automated deploy have little chance to survive.

Re: Chocolatey package for Windows users?

Oliver Burn
No, I never did anything to be present in Ubuntu repositories