Check for @param sentence format

hedouxt
Hi,

I'm looking for a way to check the format of java @param comments.

For example, I want to ensure these comments begin with an uppercase and do not finished with a point.

I can achieve this easily on Class parameter with the WriteTag checker. But I can't find a way to do it works for a method comments.

Any clue about this?

Thx for help,

Tony

Re: Check for @param sentence format

Roman Ivanov
Hello Tony,

There is no way in Checkstyle have access to JavaDoc content, all comments are ignored.
To examine to what tokens Checkstyle have access please launch:
java -classpath checkstyle-5.6-all.jar com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.gui.Main

Workaround (if you need that feature badly):
you can try to use RegularExpressionCheck - http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/config_regexp.html
But do it with caution and proper testing, that could not guaranty you 100% coverage of all cases but might help to find most of cases.

Thanks,
Roman Ivanov.

Re: Check for @param sentence format

Roman Ivanov
Hello Tom,

Please take a look at
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/documentation/index-137868.html

from that page:
At Oracle, we have developed a tool for checking doc comments, called the Oracle Doc Check Doclet, or DocCheck. You run it on source code and it generates a report describing what style and tag errors the comments have, and recommends changes. We have tried to make its rules conform to the rules in this document.

Thanks,
Roman Ivanov.

Re: Check for @param sentence format

Allon Mureinik
Hi Roman, Tony,

DocCheck has been dead for several years now.
The link to DocCheck results in a 404 error, and the only discussions about it in Oracle forums are about it's disappearance (at least, the only discussions I could find).
e.g.:

I did, however, find a fork of it in project.net - not sure how up to date it is, or whether it supports modern java language features:

-Allon

At Oracle, we have developed a tool for checking doc comments, called the Oracle Doc Check Doclet, or DocCheck. You run it on source code and it generates a report describing what style and tag errors the comments have, and recommends changes. We have tried to make its rules conform to the rules in this document.

Thanks,
Roman Ivanov.

Re: Check for @param sentence format

Roman Ivanov